Ravenloft: Curse of Strahd
- This is a Gothic Horror Campaign Setting You might not find many dragons or orcs in the Ravenloft Setting, but that doesn’t mean you are safe. Innumerable horrors threaten the lives and sanity of all those who tread here.
- The Setting is More Victorian Than Medieval All standard adventuring equipment available. Firearms are sometimes available to those who can afford them. On rare occasions one might observe crude steam engines. Electrical generators and equipment may also be encountered.
- No One Calls It Ravenloft In the setting, Castle Ravenloft is the home of a fearsome count ruling over his valley kingdom. The setting as a whole is composed of several dozen nation states, called Domains, each ruled by a different malevolent entity.
- The World Has an Edge All lands have a defined border: a ring of impenetrable mists. People can enter the mists, but often they never return, or they come back insane, years later and hundreds of miles from where they entered.
- Humans Dominate Humans are the predominant race, compromising over 95% of the civilized communities. The common non-human races such as elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are so rare and scattered that many humans live and die without ever encountering them. Consequently any race but human has the potential to be greeted with suspicion and distrust.